Friday, March 22, 2013

Meet Purrcey, Skittles and Biscuits

My 3 beautiful cats were found by our dog Boo back in May of 2010.  I took her out one Spring morning and she got all excited, pulling on her leash towards the side of our house.  I finally gave in and followed her to see what all the excitement was about.  She made a dash for the hedges on the side of the house and there we found 3 tiny kittens, approximately 5 weeks old, scared and filthy.  There were 2 dark gray ones and a little tuxedo.  I gathered them up, chuckling at their comical attempts to hiss at me, which sounded more like spitting and promptly put them inside a storage container that was deep enough to keep them secure until I could find the mother.  I searched the yard but didn't find her anywhere, which was rather odd.
I had an old pet carrier in storage, so I set it up, put some towels in there, some water and made a tiny litter box for them and ran to the store to get some kitten food and formula.  I didn't have a clue whether or not they were able to eat on their own and I initially attempted to bottle feed them, but quickly found out that they had little teeth when the tuxedo chewed the nipple off the bottle.  I ditched that idea and proceeded to give them wet food.  It was a big hit!  Here is the proof.



Eventually, over the next couple of days, I did find the mother, but she seemed disinterested in these kittens for reasons I will never understand.  She had 2 more with her, a beautiful black/brown one, whom I eventually named Java because of her coffee-like color and a light gray one whom I named Archie.  He had a habit of rubbing up against my legs and arching his back as he did so.
I never did name the mother.  I was able to get Archie and Java adopted out when they were about 7 months old, but I decided to keep the other 3 for myself and they have been a constant source of joy and we have a very tight bond.
Purrcey is my tuxedo.  From the time he figured out that I wasn't going to hurt him, he started purring incessantly.  He purrs no matter what, hence the name.  He is a short-haired cat and has a cute little black spot on the bottom of his left foot, which I call his "panic button".  I press on it in case he stops purring to get him started again.  (Just kidding!).  He's a bit of an aloof cat, wanting affection on his terms, but when he's in the mood, his purring is unbeatable.  He loves treats and he understands that word very well too.
Biscuits is my female and my little princess as well.  She got her name because she loves to "knead" any time I pick her up or she gets on my lap.  Someone told me when a cat kneads like that, it's called "making biscuits", and I thought that it was a unique and rather cute name for a cat - so she became my Biscuits.
Her favorite past time is joining me in the bathroom when I take a shower.  She sits on the toilet lid and waits patiently for me and when I'm through, she gets in the tub and chases the water that's dripping down the walls or from the shower curtain.  She gets very vocal in there as well - more than any other time.
Skittles is my lion.  He started out as a skinny little guy who couldn't seem to keep weight on.  When I had him and Purrcey neutered, he packed on the pounds pretty quickly and decided to grow some fur as well.  He became my fluffy boy.  He's also very affectionate and drools when he purrs.  His favorite thing is watching me wash my hair in the bathroom sink.  He literally sits there on the toilet and watches me intently.  When I'm done, he "helps" me comb my hair by running his paws through it.  It's so cute.

So, there is my introduction to my 3 furbabies.  You will see posts about them scattered throughout this blog as well as pictures as I am able to post them.
Skittles
Purrcey
Biscuits


Until next time~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment